Thursday, August 13, 2015

Why I cannot join SPP to contest in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC


Some netizens have expressed their wish that I avoid a 3-corner fight with SPP and reconsider the suggestion by a cadre member of SPP to join them instead to contest in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC.

I am glad that there is an intense interest in the contest in Potong Pasir SMC which would otherwise have been just another one of those constituencies with only 2 choices for voters in the coming general elections.

Please allow me to explain why the suggestion is not workable. 

1. I have no wish to be a party-hopper and made this commitment to myself when I joined the National Solidarity Party ("NSP"). I repeated this commitment to myself when I left NSP. 

2. There are many former members from NSP who have joined SPP. If I join SPP, I will be seen as part of the NSP faction in SPP and this will not be in the best interests of SPP.

3. Every political party has its internal politics and I am totally unfamiliar with SPP's culture and internal workings. And I have no wish to be embroiled in any internal party politics at this time.

4. It would not be fair for me to displace anyone in the team that has already been formed to contest in Bishan-Toa Payoh for all the efforts that he/she may have put in.

5. It takes time for the members in SPP's team for the Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC to know each other and they would have formed their synergy by now. It would not be right for me to disrupt their team spirit at this crucial time.

I thank all those netizens who support my decision to contest in Potong Pasir SMC and those who encourage me to remain firm in my decision. May the best candidate in Potong Pasir SMC win on his or her own merits.

1 comment:

  1. May God bless you....
    You will lose your deposit so must well donor to the needy....
    sometimes you need to weight in big picture.
    the way you explain bet many Singaporean opposition supporter will not agree with you.

    ReplyDelete