Monday, August 10, 2015

Debunking the myths about Party Candidates and Independent Candidates


Some people think that independent candidates are working all by themselves and are very limited manpower and that therefore, they may not be able to run a town council. They even think that conversely, political parties and party candidates have better resources and are better able to run town councils. If we care to think deeper, these are merely assumptions and are not absolute truths.


Political parties and party candidates cannot merely rely on the identity of their organisation alone to reach out to voters. There is physical work to do - reaching out to people and engaging them and for all these you need supporters and various resources. Identity alone as a registered political party is not going to make things work which is why some registered political parties are unable to function at all or do so effectively.


As a potential independent candidate, I do not come under any party banner. This is by my own choice. I do not have a party identity but rely on my own identity. I am what you see and but not everything you see. I am not a one-man show and do not do everything by myself. Behind me, I have a strong team of supporters who are dedicated to help me in my candidacy.


As you would have noticed, I have done substantial groundwork. The amount of work that I have been able to do on the ground and so extensively speak for themselves. It would not have been possible without the support of my team of supporters.


As a matter of fact, when news of my departure from the National Solidarity Party was released, various political parties were quick to invite me to join them. Besides knowing the extent and quality of my work, they are also interested in the support that I have in terms of manpower and resources. The fact is that, with my team of supporters, I am in a position to compete against any party candidate standing for election in any single-member constituency and run a town council. 


I will, however, emphasis that not all independent candidates come from the same mould. The supporting manpower and resources would be different for each of them. People should not discount an independent's potential simply because he has no political party to fall back on but should judge them by their work. My team functions like a party machinery and after the elections, there are plans to register a political party to provide a platform and support for those who prefer to be party candidates and subscribe to Peolitics.


We should be able to see the difference between form and substance when comparing party candidates with independent candidates. And you will be able to appreciate that some independent candidates may indeed be substantially better than party candidates.

No comments:

Post a Comment